Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Friday, July 16, 2010

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, July 15-16

Before reaching my next National Park Service site, I drove a piece of the Lake Erie shore in Ohio and Michigan.  Then I overnighted at the Virant Family Winery, members of Harvest Hosts.   Located on a rarely traveled country road, I had a very peaceful night's sleep.  I thoroughly enjoyed answering the owner's many questions about how I can be self-contained in such a small vehicle.  I would stay there again.

My first impression of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore was that I was back to where I grew up, on the beaches of Southern California, sans the smell of salt sea water.  Instead, I was in Indiana at the southern tip of Lake Michigan.  As I have said before, I'm not much of a sand person, so, I kept my beach walking to a minimum ... but very much enjoyed the coastline drives and views.

At their Visitor Center they had a Rain Garden.  It's purpose is to filter and slow the water's drainage into creeks, rivers, and lakes.  Having such a garden at home would be a good idea, I think.
At Indiana Dunes was also was the historic Chellberg Farm with house and barn.  It provided a nice little hike before the day got too hot and muggy.




originally posted 9/2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...