Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (WI),
July 22

ice house in fore left
herring shed on deck
pile driver raft on right
The Apostle Islands is another beautiful National Lakeshore on Lake Superior, but this time I'm in Wisconsin!  

type of boat brothers used
when first started fishing
On my way, I overnighted at Memorial Campground in Washburn, WI.  The campground is right on the lake, but I got the last campsite available and it was in the woods.  Even though it was just a Wednesday, the local high school was having their annual homecoming reunion that week so the campground was full.   After the usual curious inquiries from fellow campers about being there all of the way from Washington State, traveling solo, living out of a car, visiting national parks ... I got a good night's sleep. The next morning, I started exploring.

Inside the Herring Shed
The Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has 21 islands, but I spent my time exploring it's 12 miles of mainland coast.  I especially focused on an historical commercial fishing operation, The Hokenson Brother's Fishery.  I enjoyed this museum of rustic buildings and artifacts very interesting.  They were a very hardworking and enterprising group of 3 brothers.



originally posted 9/6/10

3 comments:

  1. And the little beach beside the Fishery is a great private little place to walk and watch the sunset. Great spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes! Did you put your kayak in there? I saw several groups of kayakers prepping while I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you look at your first photo there... way off in the distance... there is a lighthouse out there... I paddled to it. Took me about three hours to get out there, on the way back the current and wind was so strong, I could NOT stop paddling for a second, or I'd get pushed backwards... I went a short for a couple minutes then returned to the hardest paddling I've had to do so far... 6 hrs and 45 minutes non-stop hard paddling (with 15 min break). That white building in the photo, looked like a tiny white dot when I began to paddle back. I actually don't know how I did it... tested my limits for sure. But the feeling of satisfaction was fantastic once I was back on shore. And the sea caves, eagles, other strange little birds, all.... fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...