Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Adirondacks (NY), August 17-19

Afternoon on the pond
Although not in the National Park System, I wanted to visit the Adirondacks in Upstate New York since I began planning this trip. Sometime in my childhood, I think, I read some novels set in the Adirondacks and have romanticized the region ever since.
The sun has set on the
pond ... can you hear the
loon's call?

The Adirondacks cover a huge area, over 6.1 million acres, the size of Vermont! It is a combination of both public and private lands. Upon asking about camping in the VanDwellers group, I met Wendy who lives in the Adirondacks.

Wendy has a van in which she travels and camps in.   She kindly shared several "secret" boondocking camps on some local ponbds.  Another traveler, Dave, Wendy, her dog Zeke, and I met and camped together.   I was impressed by Dave's use of space in his truck camper.  He had all of the comforts of home, including a router-like wifi device called MiFi that I was able to tap into.
Dave's rig ... loved the set up

I enjoyed sitting around the campfire and getting to know Wendy, Zeke and Dave. And I loved the quiet stillness of the site by the pond, watching the sun set and waiting for the morning fog to clear.  The eerie call of the loons made it all that much more perfect.

Morning fog in the woods.

Morning fog on the pond.


originally posted 9/17/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...