Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Friday, July 22, 2011

Good Eats on US-395

I had several friends and family tell me I should check out Erick Schat’s Bakkerÿ in Bishop, CA.  It is right on US-395.  They are well known for good food.  When I got there, just 10 minutes before closing, the Deli was closed.  So, instead of dinner, I had dessert ... oh, darn :-).  The pecan pastry was very good.  I'll remember Schat's and go back again.

The sign for the Mobil Gas Station/Restaurant overlooking Mono Lake
from the Gas Mart's picnic area.
The other eatery that I'll return to is in a Mobil Gas Mart, as odd as that sounds.   Someone at the Inter-Agency Visitor Center recommended it to me.  It's at the corner of US-395 and CA-120 (to Tioga Pass and Yosemite) in Lee Vinning, CA.   And Whoa Nellie Deli was no secret.  When I got there around 4pm on Sunday, there was already a line up of 6 people back to order at each of the 2 registers.  By the time I left to go, the line up was at least 20 people back.

I got their "World Famous Fish Tacos" and wasn't disappointed.  They have a very unique menu that's more akin to what you'd find in a nice sit-down restaurant, including lobster toquitos and pork tenderloin.  They also had less expensive wraps, pizzas, and sandwiches.
Picnic area of the Mobil Gas Mart, listening to a couple of musicians.

I took my tray of tacos and beans outside to eat where about 50 other people were scattered on benches, rocks, picnic tables and the grass.  We were all listening to a couple of folk/country singers on their banjo and stand-up cello.  Such an odd scene for a Gas Mart.  Such great food for a deli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...