Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Devils Tower, June 12-13

After overnighting in Cody to wash clothes and car, I got to Devils Tower National Monument in northeast Wyoming (pic: http://www.nps.gov/imr/customcf/apps/CMS_HandF/GreenBoxPics/DETO_towerweb.jpg).  I had a nice camping spot where I could see the tower as the sun set and again in the mist at sunrise.

The Native American names for this place are more fitting I think -- Bear Lodge, Bear Tipi, Bear Hat.  It is a spiritual place and several tribes were using the grounds for traditional ceremonies at the time I was there.  I'm glad that the National Park Service recognizes their right to this sacred site and encourages visitors to give them privacy.

originally posted 6/18/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...