Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Saturday, April 10, 2010

First Days

I'm just starting to figure out a daily rhythm.  I know there's an ebb and flow to this nomadic lifestyle.  I had a taste of it last October.  On this second day, however, I have yet to rediscover it.  Living in the small space that is my Prius, organization is key ... but, I'm not quite there yet.  And because I will spend my days mostly outside, fair weather is important ... not quite there yet either.

I had planned to travel by way of eastern Washington, exploring some of those interesting side-roads and by-ways that, in earlier job-related travels, I passed for lack of time.  Sadly, a winter storm decided to make a late visit, clogging the highways with snow and the DOT with avalanche fears.  I had also hoped to visit with a couple of my east-of-the-mountain friends.  Now, those visits are postponed until October when I'm winding my way back home.

So, I traveled south, staying west of the cascades ... mostly on I-5.  I had hope to cut over, through the Sierras, to meet up with family for a few days at Lake Tahoe.  Yet, another winter storm warming.  So, rather than a leisurely trip with lots of stops and look-sees, I've driven long hours to beat out the storm.  Now that I'm here in their lovely condo, let it snow!

I do love to drive tho' ... even 9-hour long drives. I loved seeing the new born spring lambs in the fields, the surprising shocks of brightly colored flowers among the dark evergreens, and the sure knowledge that Mt. Shasta loomed large behind those billowy storm clouds.

And yesterday I found a wonderful place to overnight.  I was lulled to sleep by lions. Yes, you read that right, lions! I stayed at a very small campground associated with a Wildlife Safari drive-through park. It was great ... only myself and the camp host were there. The grass hadn't been mowed, so I got to park with the wildflowers right next to the Umpqua River.  Then this morning I woke up to the gobble gobble of wild turkeys and the unmistakable aroma of skunk.  Once on the highway, tho', the valleys were spectacular ... they bore an amazing array of greens ... layer upon layer, texture upon texture of shades of green ... from bright chartreuse to almost black, from smooth as silk to coarse as rock.  And the fog in places, it laid low in the valleys, like a thin veil of blanket.  I love morning drives.

1 comment:

  1. What a great beginning. I traveled through there in December-- had wonderful views on the way down--fog in the valley and made Shasta look like it was floating above the earth! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...