Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Thursday, June 4, 2020

My New Partner

The Delay

My goal was to leave Pahrump on May 31st.  But, I didn't make it; today being June 4th.  Here I sit in Pahrump at 103F; so thankful for the AC in my Prius.  Tomorrow will be cooler ... only 100F ... but the next day is a true respite in the mid 80s.

Unfortunately, I can't physically work in heat much past the upper 80's.  So, I get up early, work on the van, then go into the Prius and do HOWA tasks until about 5 or 6pm when I typically do something relaxing ... like write a blog post :) ... before bed.


Headliner with heat and AC running through it, also side airbags from cab to back.

The Work to Date


I got the van in early March, a passenger van because windows are important to me.  I took the seats out and quickly discovered that removing the floor-rail infrastructure to which the seats were attached was beyond my capabilities.  Similarly, I needed to take the headliner off in preparation for a 16" fiberglass high top roof.  Because a heater/AC system ran through the headliner, as well as side airbags, I didn't have the skill set to do that removal either.  So, I hired a local shop.  Once completed, the back of my van now looks more like a cargo van than a passenger van.

Looks more like a cargo van with seat rails and carpet removed.

Although the heat/AC was removed from the headliner in the back, I had them keep it running to floor-level.  I suspect that will be a nice feature when I've been driving and want to heat or cool my living space before I get to camp.

I was hoping to have the Fiberine high top installed in May.  But, they had to close due to the virus and then got really backed up with work.  So, I'm waiting until the Fall.  In the meantime, I tacked the headliner back up for aesthetics and a bit of insulation.

Spare tire moved from underneath to back door. 
Also, hitch installed for towing.
In addition, I had the shop move the spare tire from underneath the back carriage, onto a back door.  I know changing a tire will be a challenge anyway; so, trying to make it as accessible as possible when/if needed seems prudent.  I also got some running boards.  Finally, I had a hitch put on so I could haul my 6'x10' cargo trailer.

The Bow Problem

I decided to put in a plywood floor to even out the bumps and ridges.  Gratefully my comrade and colleague Phyllis trekked back to Pahrump to help me.  We cut the ply and everything fit like a glove.  I was then going to attach the wood and lay some sheet vinyl.  BUT, the dry weather in Pahrump made the plywood bow something fierce.  A google search provided a solution: wetting the concave side and letting it sit overnight.   But, within a half hour outside, it would bow again.  Finally, I just gave up finishing the floor here in the desert.  I will finish in Oregon.

Bowed plywood from the dry desert air.

Today's Status

So, this morning I started setting up a living space in the van and packing everything up for my trip north.  I have many HOWA items to outfit a couple of HOWA minivans this summer.  So much so, I got a hitch carrier for the overflow.  So, bins, bins everywhere ... plus large rolls of floor vinyl, underlayment, and curtain fabric ... just like living in a house under renovation!


The Lament

I have living in my Prius down to a science.  I know where everything is; how to set up my devices for video conferences and live feeds.   I've got instant electrical power in the Prius ... a generator on wheels.  So many changes in the van.  Now I have solar panels to set up and move with the sun each day.  I need to figure out where to place cameras and sit with my laptop in the van for decent lighting and audio.  Everything will be a learning experience for a while.

So, Why?

Do you sense frustration?  Me too.  The thing is, I still like living out of my Prius.  I think this transition would be easier if I didn't.  All that said, the reasons for getting the van are still sound and wise.  I need to be able to stand up off and on while working inside on the computer.  I need to be able to easily cook inside instead of having to eat cold foods or go out to eat each day.  I need to be able to tow my cargo trailer.  These are the features I need because I want to continue doing the work of Homes On Wheels Alliance (HOWA).

Bed set in first in my new van, my Partner in all things good.

Onward and Upward

So, I'm keeping the Prius as my "cottage on wheels" for vacations and extended trips.  But, the Van, she is a working girl.  A dependable, go anywhere, climb any mountain kind of woman.  She will carry a load in style.  Her and I, we're partners.

14 comments:

  1. Suanne: Looking good. Keep at it. How many miles on the Prius now?
    The a/c in the Prius is really good. Mine has 80K (newbie) and is running just like new. Can't wait to see how the Van turns out. I had a similar van one (van conversion) and with fans/screens, it made a world of difference. Good luck, stay safe. cr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My 2015 Prius has 82K on it. My 2004 had 232K on it when I gave it to family in 2017. I appreciate your encouragement. Safe travels.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your new "Partner". Save travels. (Julie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Was your bed made out of plywood? Are you using a regular mattress or foam? Looking forward to hearing and seeing the updates when you get a chance. 🌺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis, My bed is half of a full bed frame (https://amzn.to/3fWuSNf). I put down a yoga mat, then an REI 3.5" self-inflating pad. It's what I used in the Prius for many years. Very comfortable.

      Delete
  4. What year and engine size is it... extended?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind, found it in your previous post... 10 years newer than mine, also 2500, but mine is extended. Good choice. I have no regrets, I will however be jealous of your Hightop. Lol. Enjoy the build and learning curve.

      Delete
    2. So glad to see you here Charlene. Have you thought about getting a hightop yourself. I'm already ready to get one. I don't like walking inside all hunched over.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. The windows and doors that I can open wide (while in nature) are by far my favorite things about the van.

      Delete
  6. Windows and doors would be my priority to! I could never live in a closed up space. Wishing you happy and safe travels in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad to have you visit my blog.

      Delete
  7. Hi, just found your blog from Bob's latest Q & A video on YouTube. Congrats on the new van! Everything really is a trade off. If anyone wants to become a millionaire all they have to do is come up with the perfect one size fits all travel rig! Just curious how you shuffle two cars around while on the road as you build out your van?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, Glad you made it here. I agree, no perfect rig. My Prius is in storage ready to take some fun trips, or especially long trips again. I'm not sure it makes sense to keep it, but I'm attached still. We'll see what I do after a while. Thanks again for the visit.

      Delete

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...