Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Monday, June 22, 2020

Two Weeks In

Copied over from a Facebook Post from June 18, 2020 (plus some additional pictures) --

Almost 2 weeks in the van. First, I made a 2-day drive from Pahrump, NV to Klamath Falls, OR. Got 16 MPG on first day, and 20 MPG on second day. Now, I'm camping with HOWA staff in the National Forest... always a treat. Spent the next week working. Then into Medford before coming back to camp and taking everything out of the van to finish the floor. Weather said sprinkles for a couple of hours over the two days planned to finish the job. So, tarped everything.

Everything out of the van and tarped for the rain.

Good thing because it rained for most of the 2 days ... and a couple of times it poured.


Damp and drizzle helped to take the bow out of the plywood.

I ended up doing what I could inside of the empty van. Thankfully, no more bow to the plywood in this damp weather.


Ended up using the inside of the van for shelter to work during the rain.

So, I got the underlayment mostly completed before I needed to load everything back into the van and get back to HOWA work. Now, next chance I get (in about 10 days), I'll install the sheet vinyl. It's slow going, but this pace and its many pauses is affording me opportunities to test out various configuations in my no-build build.


Kitchen Counter placed over wheelwell on passenger's side.

First, as you can see by my earlier post, my bed was across the side doors along the driver's side. I didn't especially like that my bed was front and center. Then I moved it to the back, still along the driver's side of the van. Better, but next I moved it along the passenger side of the van in the back. I like this configuration the best so far. See pic taken from the cab.


Latest configuration.
What I am enjoying most about the van so far -- the connection to and view of nature out of its many windows and open doors; making hot drinks and cooking inside; free power via solar generator/panel; and sitting up high when driving.

Love the windows.

What I miss about the Prius -- no hesitency to drive due to cost of gas; instant electricity by turning the car on; able to warm the smaller space quickly with auto-start while still in warm bed; everything was within arm's reach.


That's it so far. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. Looking good Suanne. Little by little keep at it. Love hearing about your progress. Any blinds on the windows for privacy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have black polyester fleece that I use as curtains when in town. Currently just hanging with clips and magnets. Will figure out something more permanent with time. Thanks for visiting again!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including us in your new plans Suanne. I love how everyone has their unique build for what they love and feel at home in. Not many “sticks and bricks” homes are this flexible and yes all those windows - that open! - awesome. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And love that you have joined me for this "journey."

      Delete
  3. I'll miss your Prius updates. The Prius is such a great car to exit the rat race in, for the reasons you mention, but I can see why you would want to have a van. I always wondered what you did in the Prius during a week of rain. If I got a van, I would just stay inside and never leave. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog. I still have the Prius ... so, may do more updates. I will use it for fun trips and especially long trips. It's waiting for me in storage right now. :) Regarding being in the Prius and rain, before the pandemic, I might go to a coffee shop and hang out. Or, just hang out in the Prius ... maybe drive around a bit. I actually like being in a cozy place in the rain ... like a Prius.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are staying secure & healthy - Looking forward to your next update and posting. Your readers are nervous?

    ReplyDelete

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...