Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shenandoah National Park (VA),
September 13-15

Overlook from the south end of
Shenandoah's Skyline Drive
My visit to Shenandoah National Park began as I ended my northward journey on the Blue Ridge Parkway. In fact, Shenandoah's Skyline Drive is the same road as the Parkway with a name change.

I was fortunate to see a black bear cross the road in front of me on my first afternoon in Shenandoah. At a ranger program, I found out that Shenandoah has a higher density of bear than either Canada or Alaska.

Early fall color at dusk
Loft Mountain Campground

For my first night I stayed at the Loft Mountain Campground.  My site, on the ridge, had a beautiful view.  A piece of the Appalachian Trail, which runs from Maine to Georgia, was just below my site.

Sunset at Loft Mtn CG

Appalachian Trail below
my Loft Mtn. campsite

After enjoying the Big Meadows area, I drove further north to overnight at the Mathews Arm Campground.

The further north I traveled,
the more civilization.

Deer grazing as I leave
Mathews Arm CG

Overlook view from the northern
end of Shenandoah NP
 I also enjoyed overnighting at the Lewis Mountain Campground in the middle of Shenandoah National Park on my way back home (Sept 26-27).

originally posted 10/10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...