Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Like a Tall Glass of Water

Maple Bay State Forest, August 25, 2018
I'm calmer now -- sitting, surrounded, quiet.  Just a half hour ago I knew I had to get out, or get to.  I'm not sure which, maybe both.

What has happened to me?  I've changed.  Or, maybe I'm just now letting myself be myself, know myself.

For this past week, I've been in Small Town America visiting loved ones.   And I've been camping in a fairly upscale RV park next to a small patch of woods.  Yet ...
Yosemite National Park's Tunnel View, 2009 
A half hour ago every cell in my body was crying out to leave, to return to my home. Not a conventional home or place, but Primal Nature.  You may think I'm talking about "Nature" as something like the famous Tunnel View at Yosemite which is truly spectacular, awe inspiring, and primal.  But, I'm really talking about places that are much more ubiquitous.

Redwood National Park, 2011
  It's the "being" that I crave -- the "being with," "being in" nature, that feeling of smallness and completeness under a forest's canopy, within a desert's sprawling vastness, or beneath the Milky Way's arch in an intensely dark and bejeweled sky.

Joshua Tree National Park, 2010 
For right this minute, though, I've found an ancient forest.  A small patch this state has set aside.  I found it on my way to a possible dispersed camping spot.  I stopped on a whim after seeing signs on the highway.  I followed a rough, overgrown road to its end.  I don't have the required recreation pass to be here; so, I won't stay longer than it takes me to make this blog post.

Maple Bay State Forest, August 25, 2018
But, I'm calmer now, satiated.  This feeling is similar to when I've been dehydrated, drank a tall glass of water, and experienced that visceral sense of satisfaction -- meeting an exact need, exactly the way it needed to be met.  Every cell in my body says "thank you." 

Drinking it in.  August 25, 2018

The satiation is real, but temporary.  When I leave here, I know I'll need to spend more time in nature again, just as I'll need to drink water again.

26 comments:

  1. I know, so well, that exact feeling.

    What a beautiful place to find your balance.

    Sending love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you know Cyndi. Can't wait to see you again and have a real hug. Sending much love.

      Delete
  2. I'm not expert but have you ever considered writing? You might be good at that. Do you have a book in you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're very kind. Maybe someday I'll have both the urge and the discipline to write a book. Thanks for reading my blog though. :)

      Delete
  3. Suanne... been waiting for another post. Very nice written account of your experience. There are many of us follwoing you... more than you may think. We recently took a trip to Montreal and Quebec, and you Prius set-up suggestions really helped us. Keep the blogs coming... “The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”
    ― Alexander Supertramp Chris McCandless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that quote. Thank you for sticking by my blog, especially when my posts have been so sparse. Safe travels my friends.

      Delete
  4. Reading this from a kindred spirit just made my day! Thanks So Much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suanne, kindred spirit here, gotta get out... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elaine. So good to have you check in. I hope you are getting out yourself. Take good care. Suanne

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad I found your blog. I especially found your bed set up interesting. I have a KIA Sportage and I think that will work for me. I hope to get out and on the road in December. I downloaded a book on living in your car. Will see if that's the life for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the bed set up was helpful. I hope it worked well for you. Safe Travels!

      Delete
  7. Suanne, you inspired me to purchase a 2012 Prius V this past July. I then drove from Memphis, TN to California and back living out of my Prius for 20 days. My first ever trip through the west. Loved it!! Hopefully I will sell or rent my home and land within a few months so I can take off again and actually spend some time at different sites. Maybe meet you at the next RTR. By the way, I'm almost 72 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. At 72, you are an inspiration!

      Delete
  8. Just bought a rogue, paid for completely, so first thing I did was lower rear seats 60/40...bought 6 inch foam 72X36, slapped on single fitted sheet ..been NC, SC, beach, state parks...but I wanna go further....hoping to get that push...soon....love ur blog....saw u on a Prius vid which directed me here ... Great job describing ur experiences...hope to b a traveler soon ...kay kaykilby64@gmail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope you love the road and being in nature. It's a good life!

      Delete
  9. Suzanne, it's like you told my story .. Family campgrounds was never a place for me.. Being in the deep forest is the only way for me to be satisfied. I never want to leave after I get there. A lot of meditation, the stillness and serenity , the beauty of it all... God made this for us to enjoy and take care of it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susanne, I have met you through Bob's online information on nomad camping. I feel a connection because I am contemplating living and traveling out of my 2010 Prius. I am nearly 60 at this time. What advice would you give two this 60 year old woman first setting out on this journey? And what are the essential items I should have with me? Sign me excited and apprehensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 60, you'll find many other nomads within that same age range. My best advise is to take many test runs before you take a long trip or go full time in your car. I found that I was able to work out the kinks so that when I made a longer trip, I was more skilled and comfortable living out of a car.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I'm doing very well, thank you. I've come out of retirement; so, I'm now a career woman working out of my Prius. It's an amazing life and I love it!

      Delete
  12. Thank you Suzanne. Identify to your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's nice to find a like-minded person.

      Delete
  13. Hi Suanne...just found your blog today and I've bookmarked it!You truly are a gifted writer :) You've seriously encourages me to pursue getting a prius. I hope you continue to blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The best to you in getting a Prius.

      Delete

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...