Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Olympic National Park, October 17-19

View from back porch at
Hurricane Ridge
I took off for Olympic National Park on Sunday, going over the Narrows Bridge in Tacoma to Port Angeles on the Peninsula.  I visited the Visitor Center on my way to Hurricane Ridge.  The weather was beautiful, the view amazing.  Then, I drove to Rialto Beach on the west coast and arrived as the sun set, overnighting at Mora which is about a mile inland.
Rialto Beach at dusk
The next morning, I went back and visited the Elwah Valley and Sol Duc Hot Springs.  My favorite part going through the old growth forests.  It felt like sacred ground, like I would hear Gregorian Chants at any moment.  From there I went to the Hoh Rain Forest to overnight next to the Hoh River.  

Flock of pelicans at La Push's First Beach
I got up early and hiked the Trail of Mosses in the Hoh Rain Forest ... beautiful, other-worldly.  I was there as the first shafts of light came through the trees and onto the trail.  I then drove further south and explored the Queets and Quinault Rain Forests where I'd love to come back to spend more time. 

Lake Crescent
This park whole park needs more time.

 



Sol Duc River
Hoh River at Campsite





Very large stand of moss covered Maple Trees
One super large,
fallen maple leaf
First shaft of morning
light on Trail of Mosses
in an old growth forest




Old Growth, Hoh Rain Forest

Mushroom

Mushrooms

And more mushrooms

Moss at Hoh Rain Forest
Visitor Center

Autumn color next to Hoh River

Big Cedar Tree & Prius RV

Ruby Beach

Quinault River

Graves Creek Road
Quinault Rain Forest

Roosevelt Elk near Quinault River










originally posted 11/1/10