Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Monday, September 13, 2010

Blue Ridge Parkway (NC/VA), Part 3,
September 7-13

Resident in Glass Studio
EnergyXchange
 Before going north on the Blue Ridge Parkway again, I decided to check out a few places on the way.  The EnergyXchange was my first stop.  At this site, resident artists use the methane gas from an old landfill to power pottery kilns and glass-making furnaces.  I was fortunate that both a potter and glass blower were working at the time of my visit.

Resident Teresa Pietsch
EnergyXchange
Then I took a scenic drive over Roan Mountain.  This beautiful drive gave me a taste of the fall colors to come.  Maple, hickory and oak trees were starting to show some reds, oranges and purples.
EnergyXchange -
large pool of fish used
to water and fertilize plants

I got back on the Parkway, enjoyed the scenery, overlooks, interesting stops.  One of those stops included the home of "Aunt" Orleana Puckett who delivered over 1000 babies as a midwife and lived until she was 102.

I spent a day in Roanoke, VA catching up on laundry and online tasks, but backtracked to the NC-VA boarder where the Blue Ridge Parkway was celebrating it's 75th Anniversary at the Music Center.  Here I saw musicians jamming and several concerts at their outdoor amphitheater, including Dr. Ralph Stanley & His Clinch Mountain Boys.

Aunt Orleana's Cabin







Mabry Mill on the
Blue Ridge Parkway
Jam session in the area for Luthier /
Instrument Maker Demonstrations.
Sierra Hull & Hwy 111 came down close
to the audience when the
power cut out for a few songs.
I'm glad I was up close ... great stuff!


Amphitheater at the
Blue Ridge Music Center

One-Woman Play about
Aunt Orleana
After enjoying the events at the Music Center, I continued my journey northward on the Parkway.  I took another detour to the Booker T. Washington National Monument.  At Booker's place of birth, I learned about a man who, in a unique time in history, helped those coming out of slavery better themselves through education. 
Restored Slave Cabin at the
Booker T. Washington NM
Tobacco plants like those
Booker T. Washington use
to tend as a young slave
Back on the Parkway, I visited more wonderful overlooks and sites.

N & W Railroad Overlook

James River, the lowest point on
the Parkway, 649'
Next, I continue on the same road that turns into Skyline Drive of Shenandoah National Park.

originally posted 10/8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...