Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Monday, July 19, 2010

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (MI),
July 18-19

Little Beaver Lake from
Campsite
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is located on the southeast side of Lake Superior on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I had a wonderful time exploring the lakeshore's scenic drives and little hikes.  I overnighted at the small, out of the way Little Beaver Lake Campground in the heart of the park.  I loved my campsite, right on the lake. 

White Sand Beach at the
end of a little hike
The stars of the show here, though, are the sandstone cliffs of amazing colors, 15 miles long and up to 200' high.  The various colors in the cliffs are determined by mineral seepage.  "Red and orange are iron, green and blue are copper, black is manganese, and white is lime."  In addition to the amazing colors, the cliffs took on amazing shapes -- arches, caves, holes ... If you just let your imagination go, you could see all kinds of things in those rocks.  Kind of like seeing things in the clouds.

To really get a good view, I needed to get out on the lake.  So, I took an afternoon boat.   I took many pictures ... here are a few of them ...
 










 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 



 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 














originally posted 9/4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...