Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Monday, March 15, 2010

Tunes for the Tour

   Making music is good for my soul.  I use to play the guitar -- self-taught , folksy, simple chording.  It was a wonderful way to end a long day around the campfire.  I'd love to take my guitar on this trip, but it'd take up too much room. Instead, I'm going to learn the harmonica ... I've practiced a bit already and think it will fit the bill.

   In my guitar playing days, I wrote a few songs.  Here are the words to a couple of them that seem especially appropriate for this journey.

Rock-A-By Theme (c) 1988
(A little lullaby written around a dying campfire,
High Country Outfitters / Camp Yahoo.)

And the trees gently sway
In the wind's lilting tune
In the stars' steady gaze
In the light of the moon

 And the earth lifts her voice
 In a rock-a-by theme
 In her just for now way
 At the gate of a dream

Women in the Wilderness (c) 1995
(Written as a theme song for the Women in the Wilderness Camp and Workshops, Washington Outfitters and Guides Association.)

Pull up your boots
   Strap on your chaps
Throw on your slicker
   And pull down your hat
'Cuz we're ...
(Chorus)
Women in the wilderness
   In days of olde we came out west
Now we do our dog gone best
   To be women in the wilderness

1. The legacy of those before
   Bring us home to back country's door
Walkin' through will make us more
   Women in the wilderness

2. Ridin' heard and cookin' grub
   Packin' mules and givin' love
Beddin' with the stars above
   Women in the wilderness

3. Packin' in is goin' home
   Trees and hill beckon 'till we roam
Rain and wind and sun the poem
   Women in the the wilderness

4. Listen daughters now take heed
   Mountain, meadow, streams we need
Entrust to you this precious seed
   Of women in the wilderness

   It's hard for me to believe so much time has passed since I've been to the base camp where these songs were written.  It's where I fell in love again with being in the back country (volunteering as a trail cook).

2 comments:

  1. We Should go again. The boys would LOVE it and so would joe and I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be cool. It won't be too much longer and Lane will be old enough for Camp Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...