Sunset in the Coconino National Forest, looking northeast toward Sedona, AZ, 4/17/15

Friday, January 15, 2010

In the Beginning

When I was 3 years old, my folks took me and 2 younger brothers to Yosemite National Park. I remember staying in a little cabin, playing in a near-by stream, spending time with Dad, watching him skip stones and going on little hikes. I remember seeing bears, and being amazed that the paved roads sparkled in the sun (with shards of granite).  Even though that was our only family vacation until my teens, it planted a seed in my heart that sprouted into a joy for being in the outdoors, growing tall into an appreciation for nature, with roots reaching deep into my soul.  (picture: Ansel Adam's Tenaya Creek, Yosemite)

Learning outdoor skills in the Girl Scouts, car camping with my daughter, back-country horseback riding, being a trail cook, singing around the campfire, teardrop gatherings, and journeying the scenic by-ways have all reinforced my desire to be in nature even more. 

Now, 50+ years removed from that first Yosemite vacation, retired at the moment, I'm ready to be at home with nature again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment. I'd love to hear from you ...